A short History of Patricia Beach
The property that is now Patricia Beach Provincial Park was originally bought by George Allen in 1925. George Allen built a small cabin on his property later in 1943 replacing it with a larger cottage. He used it as a hunting lodge and as a family retreat.
A large part of this property along the beach was sold to the Provincial Government in 1959. The Government of Manitoba used the property to create Patricia Beach Provincial Park - named after Patricia Joan the only daughter of George Allen, as part of the purchase agreement.
The same Patricia bought the cabin and outhouse in an auction in 1971 to relocate it - after the rest of the original property had been sold by Olive Allen in 1965.
Today Patricia Beach Provincial Park offers a popular recreation area to Winnipegers and a welcome alternative to the bustle of Grand Beach.
Author: Fredrick Buetefuer